Bonjour! As you all probably know we are in Paris! We purchased the tickets quite a while back, when they were nice and cheap=) It is my birthday trip destination and we could not be more happy with this choice. Before I start bombarding you all with fantastic posts about our adventures in France I thought I would do a compilation of the not so glamorous and funny stories on how we made it to Paris. I really want to remember what happened to us and this is a great way to keep track.
- We both were dreading our flight from Ohio to Paris, that is 8 something hours!! I remember my flight from Chicago to Brussels a few summers ago and that was no piece of cake. However God blessed us and there were 90 open seats on our plane! Meaning we got the 3 seated row to ourselves as well as the row in front and in back! The flight ended up being so easy!
- When we landed in Paris the customs line was a good hour, which wasn’t too bad.
- Afterwards we had to take the metro to our airbnb. Which is supposed to include 3 different trains, over 20 stops and a 5 min walk…. that number quadrupled.
- We first had to purchase our metro tickets. We were wandering around the airport, which is mostly in French, trying to make sense of it all.. I saw this big thingy that looked like a ticket booth. So I put in my card and tried to understand what the machine wanted, it was pretty frustrating. It turned out it was an ATM. I tried to purchase train tickets from an ATM.. imagine that happening in the USA.
- Our train stood at a stop for a good 5 hours as a delay.. ( Filipp says it was only 20 minutes, but it felt like 5 hours)
- We got lost.. really lost. We jumped on a train, settled down and then a nice women tapped on my shoulder and said something in French. I smiled and nodded.. she got that I had no idea what she was saying. Then she said “This is the last stop.” What??
- We got off the train, wandered the station, got on another train, which was another wrong train!!!
- We got off the metro, got on the street and started walking towards our apartment. Imagine two jet-lagged, tired people, scrambling up the hills and tiny streets of Paris with their suitcases, camera gear and MN coats… Sight to see, huh?!
- When we got to our apartment it was just a cherry on top. It is literally the size of our bedroom. If you have seen our place, you know that only our bed fits there. The the shower is located next to the stove, the toilet is in a closet ( no door, just a plastic curtain thing) and the bed is next to the sink. I will share photos soon of this marevlousness, don’t you worry.
- When the owner left, we sat on the bed and just laughed. Here is an adventure we won’t forget!
- Last one just to keep you guys laughing. We were at a market and a women bumped into Filipp, she said “Oh, pardon” and “Pardoname” to which Filipp responded “Bonjour!” (That’s the only word he knows) Never letting that one go!!
- It is 1:00AM here as I am writing this. Filipp is sitting on the bed planning our next trip=P I want to remember this forever!
Paris is truly beautiful!! We are taking in every day and love it!