When ever we sit down to plan a trip, or dream of one, Canada never really crosses our mind. Who knew that just north of the border was such a treasure! Alberta is one of the most amazing and beautiful places I have ever been to. Their lakes, rivers, streams are pure, blue, clear water! To be honest, we drank from the streams multiple times =P
We went on the trip with my entire family and it was a blast! 25 hours in an RV that was falling apart, no AC and a whole lot of bathroom breaks.
We hope you enjoy our little video! It is a bit wacky and shows how mature we are! (Watch in HD)
Where to Stay:
We stayed in a HomeAway (here) and we loved it!! The house was beautiful and well taken care of. The woman who hosted us even gave us a Banff pass which allowed us to enter the National Park free of charge.
It is still quite a drive to the park but we really did not want to go over board on the expenses. You can find a lodge or even a hotel right in Banff but because there were so many of us, we needed an entire home.
If I were to do this trip over again with just Filipp we would definitely stay in the National Park to save our time.
If you can afford it and go at the right time, staying at the Lake Louise Fairmont Chateau would be a dream!
You need a vehicle! Plan on this, do not rely on Ubers or buses! ( We had our super cool RV)
What to do:
There are endless amount of things to do!! Since we only went for 3 days we had to cram up to 3 hikes and locations into one day! I wish we had more time there.
- Lake Louise: Get here early!!! The traffic to the lake is intense, so we hiked… It is a long hike! Once you are there try to get a kayak. It is around 80$ per kayak. I wish we did this!
- Lake Morain: It was closed when we were there =( We were in Canada during the weekend of their 150 year and it was packed! (Do you research before you go)
- Mount Sulphur: Hike it! Don’t just take the gondola. My mom and I did because we had the youngsters, but I hiked down and it was amazing! Very difficult but amazing!
- Johnston Canyon: Such an easy hike but so beautiful! This is where you see a waterfall on every turn!
- Dress appropriately, wear the right shoes and the right clothing.
- Expect tourist.. I know, but hey, you are one of them.
- Be considerate, if there are many people trying to take photos, wait your turn.
- Try the gas station ice cream!! So creamy!
- Go grocery shopping! We bought dragon fruit for $4 a piece!!
- Take it in, but away the phone, just enjoy the moment!